about 1 month ago
Duty Solicitor - Swansea
£30,000 - £50,000
Yolk are currently recruiting for a Criminal Solicitor within a very busy regional solicitors practice.
The firm's vision is to be a leading High Street Legal Practice and they want the best people in place to achieve this. Their continued success is built entirely on the talented people who work there, so employee development is important because everyone is a valued member of the team, and they want every individual to have the skills and capabilities to achieve both their own personal goals and their business goals.
The firm is a fast growing and forward thinking High Street legal practice with three offices. The main office is located within the borough of Merthyr Tydfil and there a several branch offices
The firm employs around 50 members of staff. They are one of the premier law firms in South Wales.
As a solicitor within the busy Criminal department you will be responsible for the running of case files within the team. You will report to the head of the Criminal Department. The role location is Merthyr Tydfil however travel between police stations, courts is to be expected. The role is full time Monday to Friday, 9am to 5 pm with on call out of hours duty solicitor rota.
The key tasks associated with the role are as follows:
Main purposes of role:
- You will be responsible for the running of case files in the criminal department, dealing with clients and taking instructions upon matters:
- Arranging opening of files and management of files, from obtaining funding and applying for legal aid where appropriate to instructions to counsel to trial:
- Advocacy on behalf of clients in all relevant courts and preparing and conducting cases in all courts:
- Attendance and representation at the police station and you will be part of the on-call police station and Saturday court rota schemes;
- Instructing counsel and advising clients on the law, conduct of cases and likely outcome;
- Administration of files within the department including opening, processing, risk management, billing and closing of files;
- You will report to the director in whose department you work;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that your legal knowledge is kept up to date. You will be required to undertake training and where relevant obtain qualifications in specific areas of law practiced by the firm and to comply with the SRA requirements in relation to continuing professional development and training;
- You will be required to obtain membership of specialist panels and organisations pertaining to the area of law in which you practice and comply with any ongoing requirements that may exist in relation to such membership;
- A monthly fee income cost target will be set, based on the work you undertake and at the level of remuneration for that work. You will use your best endeavours to ensure that the cost target is met. Other KPI indicators will be set and shall be reviewed by your head of department on a regular basis;
- Post qualification experience in Criminal Law
- Police station accredited representative
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently with excellent inter-personal skills.
- Reliability is essential.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Duty Solicitor Scheme accredited.
- Higher rights of audience.
- Salary will be dependent on PQE and experience, but will be in-line with current market rates.
- In addition to your basic salary, we offer a comprehensive and market-competitive benefits package as follows:
- 33 days annual leave including bank hols and a day off for birthday (based on full time working of 5 days per week)
- Company paid BUPA Private Medical Insurance (benefit in kind) including Babylon GP - Medical history disregarded so all pre-existing on-cover ailments are covered - After qualifying period
- Free Eye Tests and employer contribution towards glasses
- Confidential access to health and wellbeing support
- 2 x Salary Group Life Insurance
- Group Income Protection
- Pension Contribution
- Payroll Savings
- Staff Salary Advances
- Staff referral Voucher scheme
- Annual performance related salary reviews
- Business Laptop & peripherals provide
- Excellent career progression and training and development opportunities
Are you up to the challenge?
Please contact Daniel Mason at our offices at your earliest convenience. We also have a referral scheme so if you know of someone who would be great for the role please get in touch.