12 days ago
26 December 2019
Head of Software Engineering, Taunton, £50,000-£65,000 + Benefits
My client, a leading commercial organisation based in Taunton is looking to recruit a Head of Software Engineer to head up their software development practice. This is a primarily hands-off role where you will be responsible for leading a very large team of engineers, designing and implementing technology strategy and managing relationships with outsource providers.
This is what you’ll be doing
- Direct and indirect management of c.50 technical staff
- Setting the strategic direction for the software engineering area and communicate widely
- Acting as an advocate of modern software engineering practices and driving change to keep up to date with technology/digital approaches
- Ensuring that the systems built are secure, supportable and work with appropriate teams across the organisation to embed best practice.
- Ensuring the appropriate resourcing is in place for upcoming near-term projects – dealing with senior stakeholders and competing priorities
- Ensuring we have the right skills across the practice, shape career paths and recruit the right talent - identify skills gaps and key dependencies within technical teams
- Engaging with internal governance and risk processes to ensure systems are delivered in governance, and corporate risks are owned and managed
- Setting up new/ and manage active software engineering supplier relationships/projects and ensure we have a pool of high-quality partners/suppliers to call on to fulfil the corporate objectives
- Setup external collaborations which are beneficial to the organisation
- Manage/own corporate risks and activities associated with delivering digital services/software engineering
The experience you’ll bring to the team
- Strong technical grounding
- Natural leadership skills
- Ability to translate organisational strategy to technological strategy
- Experience of working with outsource partners
- Desire to keep up to date with modern technology
And this is what you’ll get in return
My client offer a range of modern benefits including generous leave allowances, flexible working allowances, remote working options & an excellent pension scheme
Are you up to the challenge?
To apply for this role, please forward a copy of your CV immediately.